Today find out how to make the Oktoberfest Leberkaese Meatloaf with Cabbage Salad – A typical Oktoberfest dish that you can find in Munich at the “Wiesen” where you can celebrate the biggest and the THE original Oktoberfest of the world.
The main ingredient of this Oktoberfest recipe is Leberkaese. This is a special meatloaf made out of veal, beef and pork. Find a recipe to Make Leberkase from Scratch
You can enjoy Leberkaese warm or cold. The slices can be thick or thin. It just tastes delicious in a roll with mustard. In this recipe we are combining it with a cabbage salad. This is a very authentic Bavarian style! The pretzel rolls can be made from scratch or find them at Trader Joes, Aldi or at special supermarkets. Happy Cooking!
For the Cabbage Salad
1/2 small white cabbage
salt, nutmeg, pepper to taste
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp sunflower oil
1 dash sugar
3-4 tbsp parsley, chopped
For the Sandwich
4 German “Laugenbroetchen” or Pretzelrolls (Special German rolls which are made out of pretzel dough – How to make Pretzelrolls of Laugenbrotchen
4 tbsp sweet mustardor use regular mustard if you like
8 thinner slices (20g each) Leberkaese
– Cut cabbage in half and remove stem; cut it in quarters and then in fine stripes (horizontal).
– Pour salt, vinegar and oil over the cabbage and mix it very thoroughly.
– Add salt and pepper to taste – let sit for about 2 hours.
– Wash parsley and chop very fine.
– Cut rolls in half.
– Spread on the bottom half evenly mustard, and add 2 slices of Leberkaese.
– Mix parsley with cabbage salad, spice again with salt and pepper if needed.
– Add salad on top of the Leberkaese and place the other half of the toll on top.
Serve with Peperoni, the green ones from Kuehne are very mild and not hot at all, or Senfgurken from Hengstenberg.